What do you do when you’ve been in a taxi accident?
Injuries from taxi accidents can occur one of two ways: you were a passenger inside the taxi or you were hit by a taxi. In either of these situations, you are entitled to compensation if the taxi was negligent. We recommend that you hire a Mobile AL taxi accident lawyer to handle your claim. At Stevenson Klotz, we have handled many taxi accident cases. We understand how frustrating it can be trying to recover from an accident and you can’t stop worrying about your medical bills. We fight for your compensation so that you can begin to heal and return to your life.
What should you do after you’ve been in a taxi accident?
What you should do after an accident is the same whether you are driving or sitting as a passenger in the taxi. We understand that accidents can be stressful, so having a list can help you focus in an emergency. Below are the actions that you should take after you have been involved in an accident:
- Assess the medical condition of everyone involved. If you need to get to safety, then do so.
- Call 911 and then wait for the emergency responder and police to show up.
- Once the police arrive to make sure that you give them your information. You should also get a copy of the police report.
- Switch information with the other parties involved. Make sure you get the insurance number, the driver’s name, license number, license plate number, and the taxi driver’s employer.
- Take photos of the vehicles and scene with your phone. Also, document the time of day and the weather conditions.
- If there are any witnesses on the scene, get their information. You might need their testimony later, so this is incredibly important.
- Seek medical help. Even if you feel like you only have minor injuries, it is important for you to get yourself checked out. Also, inform the doctor that you have been in an accident, as they might want to check for internal injuries.
- Contact an experienced taxi accident lawyer. Set up an appointment, so that you can go over the details of your case. Your injury lawyer will be able to tell you who was liable for your accident.
Who is liable?
This is another question that you ask yourself after you have been in an accident. In Alabama, if you have any fault in your accident you are not entitled to any compensation. So, if the other party can prove that you are partially at fault, you will receive nothing.
Taxi companies will want to prove that you were responsible so that they don’t have to pay your settlement. Even insurance companies will try to prove that you were at fault. Insurance companies don’t care about your health, they only care about the settlement amount.
To them, you are a number, and the lower the settlement the happier they are. Most insurance companies will offer a really low number for their first settlement amount. Many victims without representation will take this offer thinking that it is the best that they can get. Don’t make this mistake. Hire a professional taxi accident attorney that can guide you through every step of the process.
What are common injuries with taxi accidents?
Injuries in car accidents can vary from mild to severe, and in some cases, victims don’t survive. Some of the more common injuries we see are:
- Broken bones
- Head Injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal bleeding
Your settlement will largely depend on the severity of your injuries. For example, someone with a broken bone is not going to receive the same settlement as someone suffering from paralysis. It can be hard to decide a value for your injuries. If you do suffer from paralysis, you will have a reduced quality of life for the rest of your life.
How do you put a monetary sum on that kind of injury? This is why we recommend hiring an experienced car crash lawyer to help you with your case. We have seen these injuries, and we handle these cases on a daily basis. We know how to speak to insurance companies and taxicab companies, so we can get you results.
What are the common causes of taxi accidents?
Many accidents on the road occur because of the negligence of someone else. So, if you are hit by a taxi, it could be that the driver was distracted or drowsy. There are so many reasons why car accidents happen on the road. Some of our clients have been involved in accidents because the other driver was:
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Distracted (by using a cell phone, eating, or not paying attention to the road)
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Changing lanes improperly
Any time that a driver is in an accident as a result of not obeying traffic laws, they are at fault. However, even the simplest cases can become complex when a settlement is involved. Hiring an attorney means that someone is in your corner every step of the way.
If you’ve been injured in an accident in a taxi, you deserve a settlement that will cover your injuries and damages. We want you to take the stress out of your settlement. Contact us today so we can go over the details of your case.