Motorcycle accidents can be complicated, and you need an experienced attorney
Motorcycles are becoming an even more popular mode of transportation. In the past, motorcycles were associated with outlaws, gangs, and daredevils. However, now you can see people commuting to work on them. If you or someone you know has been injured in a motorcycle accident, you need to hire a professional. At Stevenson Klotz, we know how important it is to handle your case efficiently. You have injuries and need to receive your settlement so that you can get back to your life. Contact our office today, so that we can begin to build your case.
Motorcycle accidents are common in the state of Alabama and all across the country. People choose to ride as their sole means of transportation or because it is a fun hobby. There are riders of various ages, and some families ride together. However, the risk of injury is greater on a motorcycle. Motorcycles are smaller than other vehicles on the road, and riders have minimal safety gear while out riding. So, it’s harder for cars to see motorcycles on the road, and the damage to the motorcyclist is more severe than the other parties involved.
What are motorcycle safety laws?
There are many laws that you must abide by if you are traveling the road on your motorcycle. Alabama requires that you have no fault in your accident if you are going to receive any compensation. So, if someone proves you were breaking a law, you won’t have any rights to a settlement. Some of these safety laws include:
- Helmet laws
- Having proper safety equipment on your motorcycle
- Passenger rules
- And riding in proper lanes
If you’ve violated one of these laws, you need to contact us immediately. The other parties in your accident might use this violation as a way to shift negligence to you. We’ve handled many complex cases, so you’ll be in good hands. We recommend that you contact us, so we can begin strengthening your case and claim. We can protect your rights and fight for your settlement.
After any accident you should contact an attorney.
In the event of any accident there are steps that you should take to protect yourself and those involved. We understand that accidents can be stressful, but having a list can help you focus in the middle of the chaos. Below is a list of things we feel you should do once you have had your accident:
- Assess everyone’s medical condition. If you are seriously injured don’t try to move. You could end up making your injuries worse. However, if you can move, make sure that everyone involved is ok. Get vehicles out of harm’s way if necessary.
- Immediately call 911. They will send the police and emergency responders. It’s important that police show up to your accident, so they can file a police report. For any claim, you’ll need to have your police report.
- Switch information with all parties involved. Make sure that you get their contact information and insurance information. Your police report should have this information but get it at the scene of the accident just in case.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident with your phone. Make sure you document the conditions of the road as well as the weather.
- Seek medical care as soon as possible. Even if you feel like your injuries are minor, you need to check to see if there is a more serious underlying condition. Also, you need to go to the doctor to show that you are serious about your injuries. If we do take your claim to court, we need to show that you were proactive about your injuries.
- Finally, you need to call a motorcycle accident attorney. You need someone that can guide you through the process. We’re experienced in speaking to insurance companies and handling claims, and we look forward to handling yours.
If you’ve taken all of these steps, then you are probably feeling confident with your legal representation. However, don’t worry if you missed some of these steps. We can help you regardless of the way you’ve handled your accident. Your claim won’t be denied because you couldn’t take pictures with your phone. Hiring an experienced motorcycle accident attorney is necessary. Motorcycle accidents are more complex than normal car accidents in many ways. We can recreate the accident and use our tools to gather as much information as possible. It would be hard to complete all of this investigative research on your own. We will also contact witnesses and hire expert witnesses if necessary. We will represent you and aggressively go after the compensation that you deserve.
What is the cause of your motorcycle accident?
One of the first questions we ask is how your accident happened. There are a significant portion of our clients that aren’t aware of what happened. One minute these riders are cruising down the road and the next they are on the ground. Thankfully, we have tools that we can use to find out who is responsible for your accident. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in our cases are:
- Reckless driving
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Aggressive driving
- Following too closely
- Improper lane changes
- Distracted driving (while eating food, talking on their cell phone, etc.)
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Bad weather
- Poor road construction
- Manufacturing defects with the motorcycle
You don’t have to know the exact reason that you were in the accident, but make sure to keep a record of everything that you can remember. We want to get you the best settlement possible, which means that we need as much information as you can give us.
I’m partially responsible for my accident, now what?
Different states have different laws about compensation in accidents, and Alabama is one of the strictest. If you are responsible for your accident, then you are not entitled to receive any compensation. It doesn’t matter if you were only 1% at fault for your accident, you still won’t receive anything. If the other parties involved claim you’re at fault it can be a difficult case for you to prove your innocence. You need an experienced motorcycle lawyer that can handle your case. If you’re facing these issues you need to contact us immediately. You deserve fair compensation, so that you can get on with your life.
What kind of compensation can I receive?
After your accident, you want to know what your claim will cover. With some of our past cases clients have received compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Loss of potential wages
- Loss of quality of life
- Property damage
If you have sustained injuries because of someone else’s negligence, then you have every right to be compensated for those injuries. The amount of your settlement will be determined by the severity of your injuries. We can go over any questions you have, and we’ll file a claim with the responsible parties.
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident you need an expert in your corner. We promise to fight for you every step of the way. Contact us today to discuss the details of your personal injury case.