Motorcycles can be great fun to ride. The wind in your hair and the feeling of freedom can be invigorating when out on the open road. Unfortunately, there is also an increased risk of danger when you are riding a motorcycle. Because you are in a smaller vehicle, it may be difficult for other motorists to see you when you are driving alongside them. Also, because you don’t have the benefit of a steel frame to protect you, you are likely to suffer more severe injuries as compared to other drivers if you are involved in an accident. Even the most experienced motorcyclists must use extreme caution to stay safe. If you or a loved one were involved in a Pensacola, Florida motorcycle accident, you need the experienced accident attorneys at Stevenson Klotz to see to it that you get the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can be caused by a variety of conditions and circumstances. These include the following:
- Poor Road Conditions: Poor weather conditions, debris or potholes can cause drivers to swerve causing a collision.
- Drunk driving: Impaired drivers have a poor sense of judgment that can increase the chance of accidents.
- Failure to check blind spots: Motorcyclists are difficult to see as it is. Beware that you may be in a driver’s blind spot and act accordingly to avoid accidents.
- Door Accidents: When riding on the street, be aware of drivers that open their doors suddenly without checking for traffic. This can impede a biker’s path resulting in an accident.
- Overcompensating the Front Brake: This occurs when the driver brakes too hard. In these cases, momentum can throw them over the handlebars.
- Lane Spitting: Many motorcyclists take advantage of their small sized vehicle to weave in and out of traffic. However, this is extremely dangerous, and it can increase the likelihood of accidents.
Motorcycle Laws in Florida
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, you may be due compensation. However, this will be harder to come by if you were driving in a way that is considered illegal. To make sure you are on the right side of the law, always abide by these Florida motorcycle laws:
- Wear a Helmet: A U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) or Snell approved helmet is required for anyone riding a motorcycle. These helmets are tested and approved as safe for motorcyclists. Be sure to check the product description and helmet labeling to ensure your helmet is correctly rated.
- Be Aware of Blind Spots: Because motorcycles are smaller vehicles, they can be difficult to see, especially if they are in a driver’s blind spot. If you are a motorcyclist, be sure to pay attention and avoid riding in a spot where a driver may be unable to see you.
- Use Reflective Safety Gear: This will make you more visible to other motorists.
Common Collision Injuries
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, there are several injuries that can occur. Some of the most common ones include:
- Road rash: This occurs when your body hits the pavement or gravel resulting in cuts and abrasions.
- Broken bones: Broken bones are common and can be the result of you colliding with another vehicle or landing on the ground.
- Amputation: Some injuries may result in the removal of a limb.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries are common and can result in paralysis or even death.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: Failure to wear a helmet can result in traumatic brain injuries which can severely affect the quality of life.
- Death: Unfortunately, many motorcycle injuries result in fatalities.
The Impact of Motorcycle Related Injuries
If you were injured in a motorcycle injury, it can impact your life in several ways. Here are some of the ways you can be affected:
- Loss of income due to time away from work to recover from injuries
- Medical expenses
- Diminished quality of life
- Chronic pain
- Costs for motorcycle repairs or replacement
- Lack of consortium
Of course, you can get compensation for your losses, especially if the accident wasn’t your fault, but you need the right Pensacola, Florida motorcycle accident lawyer to represent you.
Christopher Klotz knows Motorcycles
Chris Klotz is the current President and a founding member of the National Academy of Motorcycle Injury Lawyers. He rides a ’08 Harley Fat Bob. Chris strongly believes that those everyday people should have access to a tenacious personal injury lawyer who is willing to stand up to and challenge adversaries who are sometimes more powerful than the people he represents. Everyone deserves to have a lawyer willing to stand up for what is right, especially when making the right choice is the harder path.
Chris has a degree in psychology from LSU and graduated from Mississippi College Law School. He is also a graduate of the Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College. Chris lives in Gulf Breeze FL and is licensed to practice in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Washington D.C.
Finding Legal Representation for Your Motorcycle Accident
It can be difficult finding the right Pensacola, Florida motorcycle accident lawyer to represent you in a motorcycle accident. Many Pensacola, Florida motorcycle accident lawyers will try to appeal to you by representing themselves as fellow bikers. But what you really need is someone with the know-how to get your case won.
Eric Stevenson and Christopher Klotz are Pensacola, Florida motorcycle accident lawyers who have the experience you need to get you the compensation you are looking for.
Getting evidence together can help you to build a strong case. It’s always a good idea to try to gather evidence at the scene of the accident by talking to witnesses and taking pictures. However, this can be difficult to do if you are upset and injured.
Another important part of your case will be establishing who is at fault. Motorcycle accidents can be caused by driver negligence as well as any of the common causes listed above. The staff at Stevenson Klotz will work to get to the bottom of things finding out who is responsible for your injuries to make sure that justice is served.
Stevenson Klotz will work to make sure you get the evidence you need for your case and the compensation you deserve.
When someone is injured in an accident, they may want to settle quickly. While it is understandable that one may be eager to leave this unpleasant part of their lives behind them, it is also important to get a settlement that covers all expenses and losses.
Stevenson Klotz will make sure you get a fair settlement allowing you to move forward feeling confident that your finances are in good shape.
If you were involved in a motorcycle accident, the last thing you should have to deal with is defending yourself in court. That’s why it’s important to find a Pensacola, Florida motorcycle accident lawyer you can trust. Stevenson Klotz will make every effort to get you the settlement you deserve giving you the closure you need to move on.