While any car collision can produce injuries, those involving pedestrians almost always do. Pedestrian injuries are usually severe and can be fatal.
There were 118 pedestrian crashes in Escambia County in 2022. These accidents injured 103 people and killed 14. Statewide, 130,885 pedestrian collisions led to 83,978 injuries and 1,112 fatalities in the same period. Accidents with pedestrians are traumatic to everyone involved, and family members of those involved can suffer as well.
Insurance claims and legal processes in these pedestrian accident cases are complex. Whether you are the injured party or a family member, you can benefit from hiring an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer. Contact Stevenson Klotz Injury Lawyers to begin your case.
What Can Our Pensacola Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Do?
When you hire Stevenson Klotz, we will:
- Investigate your accident and gather evidence to support your claim
- Perform case-related administrative tasks
- Speak to insurance companies on your behalf
- Help you in obtaining fair compensation through a settlement or lawsuit
We always strive to act in your best interests for your pedestrian accident case.
What Are Florida’s Pedestrian Laws?
Drivers and pedestrians should both act responsibly to avoid accidents. The term pedestrian includes people who are walking, skating, running, or using a wheelchair.
Important pedestrian laws include:
- If a crosswalk is present, pedestrians should only cross in that area, following any walk/don’t walk signals.
- Pedestrians should travel on the shoulder of the road in the absence of sidewalks.
- Pedestrians should yield to traffic unless a traffic signal gives them the right of way.
- Pedestrians must not linger in traffic.
As your pedestrian accident lawyer will tell you, drivers also have responsibilities. They should:
- Follow traffic laws
- Stop when pedestrians have the right of way
- Yield to pedestrians even if they don’t have the right of way
Everyone using Florida’s roads needs to use reasonable care to avoid causing accidents and harming others.
Who Is Liable in Pedestrian Accidents?
To hold guilty parties liable, you must have evidence proving that they contributed to causing your accident. Your Pensacola pedestrian accident attorney will conduct an investigation to determine how and why your accident happened. If you were following the applicable laws, the other person is probably liable. During the investigation, we will seek evidence from many sources:
- Police reports
- Witness statements
- Video surveillance footage and accident-scene photos
- Your medical records
- Cell phone records
Personal injury claims typically involve negligence, and drivers and pedestrians can both be negligent. To prove negligence, your pedestrian accident lawyer must show that:
- Someone owed you a duty of care
- That party breached their duty
- The breach caused an accident
- You sustained injuries in that accident
Negligent behaviors include:
- Speeding, reckless driving, and failing to yield the right of way
- Distracted drivers or pedestrians
- Not paying attention to traffic
If you were negligent, you likely hold some fault for your accident. In some cases, multiple parties may be liable for a driver’s actions. Examples include the driver’s employer if the collision occurs while the driver is working, as well as careless mechanics and government agencies responsible for maintaining roads and traffic lights.
What If You Are Partly To Blame?
Although drivers usually cause these accidents, pedestrians can be held as at least partially responsible. Under Florida’s recently-changed modified comparative negligence law, your degree of fault determines whether you can receive compensation and how much you can obtain.
If your assigned percentage of fault is 51% or higher, you are not able to seek compensation for your damages. In addition, your degree of fault reduces how much you can receive proportionally. If you are 25% responsible for causing your accident, you can only obtain 75% of the available damages.
Ensuring that the amount of blame assigned to you is accurate is one of the most important tasks that your pedestrian accident lawyer performs.
What Can Cause Pedestrian Accidents in Pensacola?
In Pensacola, visitors and residents often walk to our beautiful beaches and other destinations. Many pedestrian accidents happen because:
- Someone is texting rather than paying attention to the road.
- Pedestrians dart into traffic unexpectedly.
- Pedestrians wear dark clothing.
- Someone ignores traffic signals.
Lighting and weather conditions sometimes make accidents more likely. Regardless of the cause, many pedestrian accidents are avoidable.
What Are Common Pedestrian Injuries?
Pedestrians have no protection against a motor vehicle collision. When a car hits someone walking, there can be up to three separate possible impacts:
- The car hits the pedestrian, with impact points typically being the hips and thighs.
- The pedestrian hits the hood or windshield, usually affecting the upper body.
- The momentum throws the pedestrian to the ground.
Pedestrians can sustain many kinds of injuries:
- Head, neck, and back injuries, including spinal cord damage and traumatic brain injury
- Broken bones or compound fractures
- Cuts from auto glass
- Bruises, strains, and sprains
These injuries may require multiple medical treatments and a long time away from work. They can also cause long-lasting trauma and other adverse side effects. You deserve compensation for all damages, and a pedestrian accident attorney from Stevenson Klotz can help.
What Damages Are Available?
If you are eligible to seek compensation for your damages, you may receive payment for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages due to time away from work
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
Compensation amounts vary depending on the circumstances of your accident, your injuries, and their impact on your life. Your pedestrian accident attorney can tell you how much your case is worth.
Why Choose Our Pedestrian Accident Lawyers From Stevenson Klotz Injury Lawyers?
The attorneys at Stevenson Klotz have more than 54 years of combined experience. We focus on personal injury law and have handled multiple pedestrian accident cases like yours. We have the resources, skills, and knowledge to handle your case successfully. As our client, you’ll receive personal attention, respect, and our commitment to do our best for you.
If you need a competent pedestrian accident lawyer, request your free consultation today. We will assess your case and tell you how we can assist. Call us 24/7 at (850) 444-0000, or submit our contact form.