The new Bay Bridge in Pensacola has opened, and many people are saying that the lanes are too narrow. As of right now, the left roads for east and westbound drivers are 10 feet wide, and the right paths are 11 feet wide.
Once the construction on the bridge is completed, we’re told the lanes will be 12 feet wide, and construction is scheduled to be completed by mid-2021.
Until then, there are traffic safety rules all drivers should be aware of, not just on the Bay Bridge, but on all bridges. They include:
- Be Alert: When navigating any bridge, especially ones with narrow lanes, it’s vital that you pay attention carefully to traffic around you. Chances of an accident occurring, especially on bridges, are increased because there is a steady traffic flow as well as pedestrians.
- Use Your Brakes. Sudden braking may be more prevalent on bridges because it’s sometimes difficult to see what’s happening in front of you, so you need to be ready to brake suddenly.
- Use Your Mirrors: Because many bridges have narrow lanes, you should keep a close watch on your mirrors. This allows you to gauge and understand the cars around you, which could make it easier to avoid an accident or another traffic mishap.
- Watch Your Speed: Watch your speed and don’t suddenly accelerate on a bridge, especially one like the Bay Bridge with narrow lanes. Sudden acceleration could make your vehicle more difficult to control in such a confined space.
- Watch the Weather: If it’s raining, or particularly windy, it can affect how your vehicle handles on bridges. Drive for the weather conditions, and don’t be afraid to slow down to a speed at which you feel safe given the wet pavement or high winds.
- Don’t Get Distracted: Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of accidents in Pensacola and throughout the state of Florida. When navigating any bridge or roadway, it’s vital that you not try to text, talk on the phone, or do anything else that is going to take your eyes off the roads.
At Stevenson Klotz, we understand that accidents happen, especially on bridges with narrow lanes. We have the experience and knowledge to assist you if you’ve been involved in an accident to ensure you receive all the financial compensation you deserve.