As fall starts making its way to the Panhandle, everyone is going to be itching to build a bonfire or make some s’mores over a campfire or a backyard fire pit. To help you do this in a safe way, check out our fire safety tips below!
- Only build a fire in an enclosed, contained area such as a chiminea, fire bowl, or fire pit. Make sure the area around the pit is free of paper, grass, leaves or pine needles that could ignite and spread the fire.
- Never leave a fire unattended. Have someone near the fire at all times to put the fire out in case the fire gets out of control.
- Keep a fire extinguisher or hose nearby to quickly put out a fire in case of an emergency.
- Keep a first-aid kit handy to treat burns.
- Always make sure the fire is completely extinguished before leaving it. Never let a fire die out on its own.