What Do I Do After a Car Accident That Is Not My Fault?

Posted on

In 2019, 689,474 drivers in Florida were involved in a total number of 401,867 car accidents. Those accidents resulted in 235,753 injuries and 3,185 deaths. These accidents cost Florida 46 million in medical costs in one year and 4.35 billion in lost wages. These numbers are consistent from year to year.

It does not go unnoticed by judges and juries that car accidents cost Florida more in lost wages than they do in medical costs, a crisis for over one-half a million drivers in Florida every year.

After being in a car accident, you will feel overwhelmed and unsure of what to do. This crisis is magnified in pain and suffering when the accident was caused by someone else. We can help.

Seek Medical Attention

Seeking medical attention is the first thing you should do after an accident, even if you don’t think you need it. Many times an accident victim will think they are okay and not seek medical attention.

Seek medical attention as soon as you can. These injuries could follow you for life. Document everything during and after the accident.

File a Police Report

If there is any bodily injury, death, or property damage over $500, you must file a police report.

If the accident is not your fault, getting the police to weigh in with citations or charges will help you find the justice you are seeking.

Call Your Insurance Company

When you have been in an accident, you have to call your insurance company to report the accident. Don’t say too much to your insurance company until you are sure what is going on with your claim and your legal end of things.

If they push you, tell them you are thinking of getting a lawyer. Florida is a no-fault state, and you can begin to recover damages right away without admitting fault.

Talk to a Florida Personal Injury Lawyer Soon After a Car Accident

After being in a car accident, you may feel overwhelmed, like your life is over. This feeling is normal and happens to everyone. We can help.

You don’t have to do this alone. At Stevenson Klotz Injury Lawyers, we help car accident victims recover from their accidents and get the justice they deserve when someone has hit them. Call our Florida car accident attorneys today at (850) 706-4434 for a free review.


Can I handle my car insurance without my lawyer?

You can start a claim with your insurance company without an attorney to get the process started. You should not tell them immediately there is a personal injury process that has begun as well.

These are two separate issues entirely in your life. Two different adjusters will manage your medical and your property damage claims, and so will your legal and insurance claims.

My insurance company wants a recorded statement. Should I do it?

You should never make a recorded statement after a car accident without discussing it first with your lawyer. Some insurance adjusters will get a bonus for the number of recorded statements they get. n Florida, you are required to give a statement to your insurance company, so tell the adjuster you will be happy to talk to them with your lawyer present.

Who pays for my medical bills while my case is pending?

Your insurance company will provide you with the starting medical costs up to your coverage limits. After that, your health insurance will cover your medical bills. Next, your personal injury lawyer works to get all of those funds reimbursed.





Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Sitemap | Copyright © 2023 Stevenson Klotz Injury Lawyers Powered by Drive Law Firm Marketing

Free Case Evaluation


Case evaluations are 100% cost & obligation free, and if you hire us, you only pay us if we are successful in making a recovery for you.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
100% Secure and Confidential