Should I Get a Lawyer for a Minor Car Accident?

Posted on

The short answer to this question is no, but there will always be times when you may need to. If there were no crimes such as drunk driving and no injuries, you may not even need to report the accident.

If the accident becomes a complicated problem or injuries seem worse than they are after the fact, you may want to get a lawyer. Generally speaking, the only time you need a car accident attorney for a civil claim is when you have extensive bodily injuries and are seeking justice and compensation for that.

There are always exceptions to that, however.

Pain or Discomfort

Florida statute §316.066 stipulates that motor vehicle accidents that result in death or injury should be reported. At the same time, if there is “any indication of pain or discomfort by any of the parties or passengers involved in the crash,” you should report the accident.

There are many cases in Florida where the victims did not feel the accident was significant, and they didn’t report it. It could turn into a financial and legal nightmare.

A Crime Occurs

If another driver has engaged in a hit-and-run or has been drunk driving, you may want to consider getting a lawyer. These actions could be felonies, and you may have civil damages for being a victim of those crimes.

Leaving the scene is a violation of Florida statute §316.061 (1). Drinking and driving is a violation of §316.193 and carries multiple sentencing guidelines.

Contact a Florida Car Accident Attorney Today If You Have a Unique Case

It’s natural to wonder after a car accident if you need an attorney. A car accident is a crisis, even if it appears to be minor.

Most car accident attorneys do not cost any money upfront when they work on contingency. Most will offer a free consultation to see if you have a case. If you aren’t sure whether or not to call an attorney, you have nothing left to lose by contacting one. At Stevenson Klotz, we’ve seen so many accidents that appeared minor at first turn into something awful. Give our Florida car accident attorneys a call today at (850) 706-4434 for a free review of your case.


Should I see a doctor even if I don’t have any injuries?

You should always see a doctor when you have been in a car accident in order to rule out any significant problems before they become more severe.

What type of damages could I qualify for?

The type of damages that you might qualify for include medical costs, property damages, lost wages, and pain and suffering. These are damages typically incurred during a major car accident. For minor accidents, you may not be able to file for any of these damages. Other common claims are wrongful death suits, which would not apply in a minor accident.

How long do I have to file a car accident lawsuit in Florida?

For personal injury claims, you have four years in Florida to file a lawsuit. For wrongful death claims, you have two years. If you think you have been in a minor accident, it may be wise to wait before you file a claim. However, it’s never a bad idea to get a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer to look at your case and let you know when is the best time to file your suit.


Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Sitemap | Copyright © 2023 Stevenson Klotz Injury Lawyers Powered by Drive Law Firm Marketing

Free Case Evaluation


Case evaluations are 100% cost & obligation free, and if you hire us, you only pay us if we are successful in making a recovery for you.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
100% Secure and Confidential