Stevenson Klotz Law Firm Logo

Do I Have to Pay the Insurance Company Back for Med Pay Coverage?

Monday December 04, 2017 | Category: Personal Injury

Yes. Your insurance company has a right to paid back for money it pays you under the Med Pay coverage in your policy. This right to reimbursement is called “subrogation.”

Subrogation allows one party to make a payment that another party owes, and then later collect that money from the party who originally owed it. For example, if a person is in a car accident, her Med Pay insurance may pay for some initial treatments.  Subrogation allows the insurance company to reclaim the money from the at-fault driver’s insurance money.

If you settle a personal injury claim or recover money in a personal injury lawsuit and Med Pay covered some bills, the appropriate amount of money will be deducted from your settlement/recovery to repay the insurance company.

The insurance’s company subrogation rights are different for Med Pay coverage than for Personal Injury Protection coverage (PIP). You do NOT have to pay the insurance company back for PIP coverage.

« Back to Posts

We have a 15 Point
Case Assessment Tool

Contact us to schedule your
Free Case Assessment

Hiring a Lawyer?

Downloadable PDF - "10 Things to Consider When Hiring a Attorney" by Stevenson Klotz Law Firm

Instead of just hiring a lawyer from a website or from a billboard, please feel free to download our FREE guide to hiring a lawyer.

Included are questions and information you may simply overlook. Use it to your advantage and find the attorney that is just right for you.

Contact SKLF by calling (850) 444-0000, or...
Email us at Fill out the form below and we will get in touch with you.

I am interested in: