Stevenson Klotz Law Firm Logo
(850) 444-0000

If My Car Wreck Happened Out of Town, Will I Have to Travel There for Depositions?

Tuesday September 26, 2017 | Category: Legal Topics, Personal Injury

Unfortunately, people get in car wrecks out of town on vacations, family trips, business trips, and the like. The most common court to file a personal injury lawsuit in is the court of the county where the car wreck happened.That court has jurisdiction over the claim because the wreck happened within its boundaries.

So what if you live in State A, but your car wreck happened in State B, and your lawsuit is in State B? Do you have to travel to State B to give your deposition? The answer is yes, you do. By filing your lawsuit in State B, you agreed to make yourself available for litigation in State B. Sometimes, lawyers can agree to depositions in a more convenient location. Most of the time, though, insurance companies enforce their right to make the plaintiff travel. Insurance companies will do whatever they can to make it difficult for a plaintiff to pursue his or her claim.

The good news is that you only have to give one deposition, even if you sued more than one defendant. So you will only have to make one trip for a deposition. Be ready to travel for court hearings if your lawyer asks you to go or for a trial if your case does not settle though.

Stevenson Klotz Attorney - Eric Stevenson - Personal Injury Attorney

Following graduation fromĀ Cumberland School of Law at Samford University, Eric Stevenson held a number of positions including Assistant State Attorney in the First Judicial Circuit of Florida. Eric has been practicing with partner Christopher Klotz since 2015 litigating personal injury and car accidents in Alabama and Florida.

« Back to Posts

We have a 15 Point
Case Assessment Tool

Contact us to schedule your
Free Case Assessment

Hiring a Lawyer?

Downloadable PDF - "10 Things to Consider When Hiring a Attorney" by Stevenson Klotz Law Firm

Instead of just hiring a lawyer from a website or from a billboard, please feel free to download our FREE guide to hiring a lawyer.

Included are questions and information you may simply overlook. Use it to your advantage and find the attorney that is just right for you.

Contact SKLF by calling (850) 444-0000, or...
Fill out the form below and we will get in touch with you.

I am interested in:

Personal InjuryNursing Home InjuryPremises LiabilityDangerous or Defective DrugsDefective Medical DevicesSerious Bodily InjuryWrongful Death

Contact SKLF

(850) 444-0000

I am interested in: