Make sure you get compensation by hiring a good log truck accident lawyer
Some accidents on the road are minor, and then you have log truck accidents. Anytime there is an accident with a commercial truck, the injuries can be catastrophic. Log trucks pose an even larger threat because their cargo can become loose during the accident. If you or someone you know has been injured in a log truck accident, it’s time to hire a professional. Stevenson Klotz has experienced Mobile AL log truck accident lawyers. We have handled many different cases and won settlements for our clients. Each case is different, but we always strive to get the best settlements in our cases. You deserve to focus on your healing instead of worrying about damages and losses. A settlement will put you on a road to recovery, so you can get back to your life.
What is a log truck?
Log trucks can be seen driving throughout several states in the south, including Alabama. These trucks generally have a large number of trees secured on the back of them. If you have ever ridden behind one of these trucks, you don’t do it for long. Most drivers have a subtle fear that the cargo could come loose at any moment and face trees crashing through their windshield and the top of their car. This might be an irrational fear for most, but these accidents do happen. If you have had an accident with a log truck, you need to contact a lawyer as soon as possible. There are so many parties involved with the operation of a truck, so you need a professional to handle your claim.
What are the causes of log truck accidents?
A logging company will harvest a tree by cutting the tree close to the base. Then, these trees are stacked onto the trailers as high as possible. Finally, these trees are transported to a mill to be processed. A log truck gets paid per load, so these loads can be huge. Since trees are heavy, even the smallest accident can result in serious injuries.
Any accident with a commercial truck can be devastating, and there are many instances of death. We understand how serious your case is, and we want to fight for your rights. If you have been injured in a log truck accident contact us today to go over your options.
Log trucks are more dangerous than other commercial vehicles
We see tractor trailers on the road all the time because cargo needs to be transported from one place to another. It can be difficult sharing the road with these giant vehicles, and we rely on safety regulations to keep us safe. Most commercial trucks have rules that they need to follow, where log trucks get to slip through the cracks. Some of the reasons that log trucks are more dangerous on the road are:
- They drive in the middle of the night: Yes, commercial trucks can be seen traveling at any hour of the day, but log trucks are often on the road at night. The mills open early in the morning and log trucks are told to be there before they open. The only way that they can do this is by driving throughout the night. Logging companies may also save money by running their trucks at night. It is more difficult for a driver to see at night time, so this low visibility is why log trucks tend to have accidents.
- Log trucks have poor lighting: There are different laws for different vehicles on the road. Commercial trucks are required to be well lit with many safety lights on the trailer and cab. However, log trucks are not required to have the same lighting. Considering that these trucks almost travel exclusively at night, you’d think they would need more safety lights. This poor lighting is another reason that log trucks are more dangerous on the roadways.
- Log trucks utilize backroads: Technically, log trucks can travel on any road where commercial trucks aren’t restricted. However, log trucks use back roads to avoid weigh stations. We mentioned earlier that log trucks get paid by the size of their loads. So, some companies overload their trucks to make the most money. Backroads have a lot of twists and turns which can be hard to handle in an overloaded truck.
- Loose logs add danger: A commercial truck already outweighs a car by thousands of pounds, and this is before you factor in the weight of the load. Log trucks can easily lose their load if it isn’t properly secured on their trailer. So, these logs can affect several cars in a log truck accident.
- Improperly trained drivers: Log trucks don’t have the strict requirements of other commercial vehicles. Drivers aren’t required to have the same training as other truck drivers, so they aren’t as safe on the road. Until these standards are elevated, you can expect to have a significant amount of log truck accidents every year.
Commercial trucks have higher settlements
Unlike a car accident, a log truck accident involves several different parties. There is the driver, trucking company, a company that loaded the lumber, and even parts manufacturers. One or all of these parties could be responsible for your accident. In fact, trucking companies will try to prove they aren’t responsible because they don’t have a way to pay your settlement. Anytime that you bring a claim against a large organization, you’re going to have to fight for a large settlement. If you can prove that the company acted with no regard to your safety, they may have a larger settlement. An experienced log truck accident attorney knows how to take on these large companies. We’ll fight for your rights no matter what we have to go up against. You deserve a proper settlement for your injuries and losses.
What are common injuries with log truck accidents?
We have represented several clients that are victims of commercial and log truck accidents. The injuries that we have seen range from mild to more severe, but generally the injuries are more severe. In fact, most wrongful death cases involve commercial trucks. The size of the truck alone can completely destroy a car. So, it’s hard for passengers of the car to survive without major injuries. Some of the most common injuries we’ve witnessed in log truck accidents are:
- Head injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Organ damage
- Internal damage
What kind of compensation am I entitled to?
Many victims of log truck accidents don’t understand what they can claim for their settlement. If another party is responsible for your accident, then you’re entitled to fair compensation. We’ve gotten clients compensation for their:
- Medical bills (including future medical bills)
- Loss of wages
- Loss of potential wages
- Loss of quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage and more.
Your settlement will vary based on who is liable for the accident and the severity of your injuries. In Alabama, you can’t have any fault in your accident to be eligible for compensation. So, if the other party can prove that you even had 1% fault you could walk away with nothing. Don’t gamble with your settlement. Hire a log truck accident attorney today.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a log truck accident it is time to hand it over to the professionals. You deserve to have fair compensation for your injuries and someone looking out for your best interest. Contact us today to discuss the details of your case.